The New Orleans Police Department and Louisiana State Police will implement a traffic plan for the upcoming Essence Festival. Events will be held in the Convention Center from 9:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m. starting Friday, July 5 through Sunday, July 7. Heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic is expected for the event.
The following plan will be put in place each day to help facilitate traffic flow and ensure the safety of everyone attending the events and/or visiting the area.
Convention Center Blvd.
- Convention Center Blvd from Calliope St. to Julia St. will be one way in a downtown direction.
- Convention Center Blvd from Calliope St. to Henderson St. will remain in both directions.
- Special attention will be given to Henderson St. due to vehicles accessing parking lots and Convention Center Blvd.
- Convention Center Blvd from Julia St. to Poydras St. will remain open in both directions.
- There is a possibility of intermittent closures on Convention Center Blvd at Poydras St. This will determined by the NOPD and LSP supervisors based on the traffic situation.
- The traffic supervisors will have the autonomy to open Convention Center Blvd. in both directions throughout the day depending on the traffic situation.
- All side streets between Calliope St. and Julia St. will be closed to traffic accessing Convention Center Blvd.
- These streets will be controlled with barricades and officers.
- Any vehicles accessing residences, businesses, hotels, parking lots, etc. in those blocks will be allowed to enter.
- All rideshare vehicles will be asked to drop off and pick up on S. Peters St. in order to keep additional traffic off of Convention Center Blvd.
- At egress, officers will control intersections along Tchoupitoulas St. from Julia St. to Calliope St. to facilitate traffic accessing US 90.
Work on the roadway is part of a $557 million improvement plan that includes converting the linear half of Convention Center Boulevard into a lushly landscaped public park to be completed in the fall of 2020. The park will include public art, water features and a variety of types and locations of place to rest and relax.
The next phase of the project to be completed will the Transportation Center located under the Crescent City Connection between the two Calliope Streets. The Transportation Center will where all shuttle, taxis and ride-shares will operate from reducing the traffic on the Boulevard when all complete.
For a list of major construction milestones, visit http://advantagenola.com/major-milestones/.
About the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
With 1.1 million square feet of prime exhibit space, in an entirely contiguous hall, the New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center provides the largest single exhibit space in the country. The New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center features an award winning staff and first class amenities, and is the sixth largest convention center in the nation. A consistent Top 10 host of the largest conventions and tradeshows in the nation annually, the Convention Center is also one of the city’s “Top Workplaces.” A leading contributor to the city’s robust tourism economy, the Convention Center’s event activity has produced $81.7 billion in economic impact since its 1985 opening, including $5.1 billion in new tax revenue for state and local governments.